Lamb or mutton karahi is a traditional Pakistani and Indian dish curry with tomato gravy. Most people make lamb karahi with goat meat. This dish is very famous in Indian restaurants all over the world. If you ever wonder how Pakistani and Indian chefs make this dish spicy and full of flavours. Chefs have their own secret recipes, but I will introduce you to the best and super easy recipe. The favourite occasion for Pakistani families to make mutton is Eid-ul-Adha.
You can make this dish with or without onions, but actually, restaurant-style karahi is without onions. The best flavour of karahi is because of tomatoes, meat and Indian spices. Now I will reveal top secrets to make restaurant-style mutton karahi at home with straightforward way.
Ingredients to make Mutton karahi
- ½ cup cooking oil or desi ghee
- ½ kg lamb or mutton, bones must be in
- 1 piece of garlic, minced
- ½ kg tomatoes, chopped
- 1 chunk of ginger, minced
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp red chilli powder or minced
- 1tsp black pepper
- Some Chilli flakes
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- 3 green chillis, with one cut
- Ginger cut into pieces
Karahi Lamb recipe
How to make lamb karahi?
Making karahi lamb or mutton karahi is very easy and simple. Recipe to make karahi chicken or karahi gosht is a bit different to make lamb karahi. I am going to give you secret instructions to make mutton karahi restaurant-style dish at home.
Step by step instructions to make lamb karahi
- Heat up cooking oil or ghee in a pot, put meat and fry on high flame until the meat has changed its colour to brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and give a quick fry, until the smell goes away.
- Add garam masala and 1 cup of water for lamb and 3 cups for mutton. Keep checking water.
- Once the simmer is up, the meat must be cooked 75%, and there should not be much water in the pot. The pot will look oily. Remove the oil if you want.
- Increase the heat to high flame. Add tomatoes, take off tomato skin if it bothers you and keep stirring and concentrate everything in the pot.
- Add some chopped coriander and cut green chilli when gravy is done. Your mutton/lamb karahi is ready to serve.
What to serve with mutton/lamb karahi?
You can serve karahi with roti, chapatti or naan. This tasted the best when it served with naan. Some people in India and Pakistan serve karahi with rice, but naan is the best thing to serve. Further, fresh salad or raita pairs best with mutton karahi.
Can we freeze lamb karahi to eat later?
Yes, we can freeze any karahi because this specific dish freezes very well.
That is all. I consider I have delivered all the info and formula to make mutton karahi or lamb karahi at home in this article. Sharing easy instructions to the people is always on my significance. If you have any queries regarding this article, please comment in the comment section below.
Thank you for reading this article