Punjabi chikar cholay is a ubiquitous traditional street food dish. This dish is very famous in Pakistan, particularly in Lahore. On the other hand, the dish is indeed significant. It creates an excellent meal for dinner and lunch. This is the vital comfort food. There are many versions of chikar cholay, but the important things are that it is a sweet hot curry with a mushy texture but rich in taste.
The cooked curry should look golden dark brown in color. Chikar cholay has its own title from the texture of the curry. Chikar at Punjabi means gravy, and cholay means chickpeas, so the name chikar cholay.
Ingredients of Punjabi chikar cholay
- Chickpeas 400 g
- Salt 2.5 tsp or to taste
- Red Mirchi powder 1 tsp
- Green Mirchi Two
- Oil half cup
- Onion 1
- Tomatoes 3
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Yoghurt 3 tsp
- Ginger paste ½ tsp
- garlic paste ½ tsp
- Fresh coriander, ginger, and green chillies for gravy
- Large cardamom seeds half tsp
- Whole Cumin 1.5 tsp
- Whole Coriander 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds 4 to 5
- Cloves half tsp
- Small cardamom 4
- Cinnamon stick 1 inch
- Ginger powder 1/4 tsp
Star ingredients of chikara cholay
Chickpeas and tomatoes are the star ingredients of Lahori Cholay.
Lahori Chana Recipe
Making Lahori chana is very easy and simple if you follow my steps and step by step instructions to make chikar cholay.
Step Step instructions to make chikar cholay
- Heat the oil in a karahi
- Add sliced garlic, onions, and ginger. Heat them. Don’t let them hurt! Keep inspiring to avoid them from burning.
- Add the berries and a few drinks of water.
- Insert spices and add chickpeas. Let them cook for three minutes
- Add from the yogurd and half a cup of very warm water. Turn the heat to low and allow the curry to seethe for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Open the top and let the curry dry up.
- Your Punjabi chana or cholay are ready to serve
- you can serve chikar cholay with naan, roti, or rice with onion slices and other salads
- You can put some coriander leaves on the dish for garnish.
Chikar cholay is very famous in the street foods in Lahore and other main cities of Pakistan. Almost every family eats chikar cholay and yogurt for breakfast. That’s all for today. The main purpose of writing this article is to provide information to the world about Pakistani street foods. If you have any questions, you can comment below in the comment section.